Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Disney! …..I mean Jungle Jim’s


So, If I have a food happy place it is Jungle Jim’s in Cincinnati, Ohio.  Paul and I went on a day road trip there this last weekend.  It is a place for those who like all things food.  Think Disneyland for foodies.  It is an international market.  They have all kinds of groceries from all sorts of countries.  A HUGE selection of everything from produce to meats and cheeses to candy. 
The first time I went, I was in information overload!  I was trying to read each package in each aisle.  I think I drove Paul crazy, but I loved it!  I still try to see everything, but I have learned that it is humanly impossible to see every product in the store, that is just how big it is. 

The reason I get so excited to go, is to get the chance to buy and try foods that I can’t get at the regular grocery store.  Middle Eastern spice blends, to authentic Japanese noodles, to chocolate from Russia, rice from South America, chilies from all over!  …..The list keeps going.  Some things taste unusual to me, like the chocolate from Russia, Paul LOVED it, but I didn’t really like it, but it is all part of the experience.  Same thing with getting unusual cheeses from all over the world to try.  I bought a duck this time.  I’m really excited to try and cook it soon.  I will have to let you know how that goes.  I’m hoping it’s not a complete flop, because I really like duck, but I’ve never tried cooking it myself before. 

I forgot to get pictures from the inside of the store, but I’m sure if you go to their website you can see some of it.  The store is broken into sections my country.  They also have fun things along the way, like a talking Robin Hood in the Great Britain section, and I believe it is singing corn in the entrance.  That may sound really stupid to you, but I find it very entertaining!  I do kinda feel like a kid at Disney when I am there. :-)

Paul and I go a couple times a year probably, and there are a couple things I always look for.  I like getting the Asian noodles, because they are a great gluten free option.  I also like getting the cornmeal from South America, because it makes great polenta.  (more on polenta soon in a future post).  A new staple in my kitchen is parboiled rice.  A friend from Venezuela introduced me to it.  It’s great!  You cook it like regular rice, but it seems to turn out perfect every time!  The grains stay separate, never sticky, so it isn’t good for risotto or sushi rice, but for so many other things, it is just great!  I know that sometime it can be found in other international food shops, so if you ever come across it, it is worth trying!
 


I also like to go to get new spices and sauces.  Some are authentic from other countries, and some are made for the grocery, but all are interesting.  I’m really excited to try Harissa paste in my cooking soon.  It is a North African spice mix with chilies, garlic , and spices.  I’m also really excited to use authentic paprika, that’s the box labeled Pimenton.  I think some of the paprika in regular groceries don’t taste like much at all.

If all this talk about food has gotten you excited and you live no where near Cincinatti, I’m sorry, I do think they ship some of their things though.  I’ll stop going on and on about food now.  I just wanted to share this with you in case you were in need or a road trip like I was.  It’s worth it!  I’ll stop talking about it and let you check it out!  http://www.junglejims.com/index.asp 

Enjoy!

Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment