Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Dress Up Breakfast


One of my favorite times of the week with my husband Paul is a lazy breakfast together on the weekend.  We try to do it almost every weekend.  We sleep in, then go downstairs and make breakfast together…..Or mostly together, I will admit I am a bit of a kitchen hog…..  He says it has something to do with me being a control freak….I’m working on that.

This last weekend I made waffles with blueberry syrup. I used gluten free Bisquick, and just followed their recipe.   The waffles turned out perfect, a little crunchy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside!  I was surprised with the success of gluten free waffles.  They were so good, I got scared I mixed up the flours and make it with gluten instead!  I know you can make gluten free waffles from scratch, but when it comes to some gluten free baking I found that sometimes mixes just work better.

The blueberry syrup turned out great too.  And really simple.  I did it because I wanted something a little less sugar dense to top the waffles, since both Paul and I are trying to eat healthy.  Just picture warm sweet blueberries with a little added thickness of maple syrup mixed with the juices coming out of the blueberries.  Perfect for drizzling.   That makes a pretty great start to the morning for me!  It would work with waffles, pancakes, or even ice cream.  Here it is!

1 cup blueberries

3 tb maple syrup  (use the real stuff!  It’s so much better!)

Put blueberries and syrup in small saucepan, and let cook on a bare simmer for 10 minutes.  You can let it stay on the stove for longer if needed.  If it seems too runny, you can keep it at a simmer for a little longer.

You can save the leftovers.  I mixed mine with some plain vanilla yogurt.  Amazing!  It made the yogurt go from plain breakfast to a dessert like treat that reminded me a bit of a parfait.

No comments:

Post a Comment