Saturday, May 19, 2012

Not your everyday popcorn!


I have a very close friend of mine who said she didn’t really like popcorn.  I was shocked!  You don’t like POPCORN?  After talking a little longer, I found that the only real experience she had with popcorn was the bag of stuff that comes out of the microwave.  That’s not the kind of popcorn I’m talking about.  I’m not saying I don’t eat it.  I’ve got some in my pantry right now.  But if you want to really experience popcorn, you have to think outside the bag!

I don’t know about you, but I grew up with my mom making popcorn on the stove in a pot.  I am incapable of making popcorn on the stove top.  It is my cooking kryptonite.  Any time I make it, it is simultaneously burned and half un-popped.  I don’t know why, but I can’t make it that way.  I have given up.  I like to use an air popper.  It is a really healthy way to make it, and super easy.  If you possess the ability to make it on the stove, I am extremely jealous.  Also, you can use that in these recipes too.  I would still recommend the air popper if you have it though.

In this post, I have recipes for caramel corn, popcorn with pepper and cheese, and chocolate popcorn.  They are all just basic ratios but flexible, but you can always increase the toppings.  I make my popcorn with more limited toppings, because I try to make it more a healthy snack.  For a treat, feel free to make a bigger quantity of the toppings for the popcorn.  
Each bowl makes 2 servings, if you feel like sharing...



Salted Caramel Drizzled Popcorn

popcorn (about ¼ cup kernels before popped)
1 ½ tb brown sugar
1 ½ tb butter
1 tb corn syrup
kosher or sea salt

While corn is popping, microwave sugar, butter, and corn syrup with small pinch of salt in glass microwave safe container (will get too hot for plastic) until just bubbling, about 30 seconds depending on microwave.  Drizzle over popcorn and mix, top with plenty of salt.


When my mom made caramel corn, it was a big undertaking.  She made the caramel on the stove, put the popcorn and caramel into a paper bag and shook it until it was all mixed.  This is an easy quick microwave version with less clean up.  It’s not completely covered with caramel, but I like it that way, because then I don’t feel bad eating more!  It’s got the rich buttery caramel taste, with the combination of salt, which I love.  I think popcorn in a perfect canvas to enjoy those tastes!

230 calories per serving when using air popped popcorn



Black Pepper and Cheese Popcorn

popcorn (about ¼ cup kernels before popped)
1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
about ¼ cup grated Cheese (Toscano, or your preference)

Drizzle popped popcorn with the olive oil, and toss with cheese

 This popcorn with pepper has some spice to it, but is oh, so good.  It is strangely addicting, and a great way to enjoy the unique heat of pepper.  Cheese, of course, makes everything better.  I used Toscano for this one, but any hard, somewhat strong cheese would work.  Parmesan, Romano, Gruyere, Asiago, would all be great choices.  Use your good olive oil for this, one, you will really be able to taste it.

220 calories per serving when using 1 1/2 tb olive oil and air popped popcorn


Chocolate Popcorn

popcorn (about ¼ cup kernels before popped)
2 tb powdered sugar
3/4 tb cocoa powder
2 tb butter
salt

Mix cocoa powder and sugar.  Drizzle popped popcorn with butter, then toss to coat with sugar mixture and sprinkle on salt to taste.


The first time I tried to make chocolate popcorn, I drizzled it with melted chocolate.  It tasted great, but was really messy!  Everyone who ate it ended up with chocolate covered fingers.  This was my solution.  It is great for satisfying chocolate cravings, and crunchy snack cravings!

225 calories per serving when using air popped popcorn


No comments:

Post a Comment